I thought you should know that the 24th of November 2007 was the best night of my life. You could not wipe the smile off my face because not only had you deposed the worst Prime Minister in Australian history, you outlined a stunning vision for Australia.
I didn’t agree with your recent changes to ETS policy or refugee policy, but you have every right to feel proud of your great achievements. I believe you could have become the best Prime Minister we’d ever had and I would like to sincerely and deeply thank you for:
- paid parental leave,
- your heartfelt Apology to the Stolen Generations, and the fact that you paid for counselling and reunion
- your contributions to early childhood education,
- the end of WorkChoices,
- a more fair Medicare levy,
- improved funding to public housing and disability services,
- a two week limit to refugee detention,
- removal of some middle class welfare,
- a stimulus package that got us through the Global Financial Crisis,
- a 20% renewable energy target,
- a deal on a National Broadband Network
- and an end to Temporary Protection Visas
Yours was a creative and compassionate agenda. Thankyou for caring about this country and the people in it. Rest assured that you were not the only person feeling deeply sad to see your Prime Ministership brought to an end.
I still hope that you might use this opportunity to build a stronger base of support within the party. It is unfortunate that the Union thugs run the Party, but I believe that the Party could even turn back towards your leadership if you can show yourself to be a more consultative leader.
Either way, I thank you for your service.