Most gamers have favorite games. I don't. I have a too hard decision deciding between which games I like better. I'll bring in two games in no particular order(These aren't even necessarily my favorites, they're just good examples) from the categories I play: FPS, Strategy, RPG, and Action.
First Person Shooters:
1. Deus Ex. Got this one when the GOTY version came out. Engrossing singleplayer, and tons of replayability. I've probably replayed this one 5 or 6 times, and I'm still discovering new things. Until a couple weeks ago, when I last started a new game I had no idea I could have saved the main character's brother. I'm still finding stuff I've never seen before in this game. Enviroments are huge and very fun.
2. C&C Renegade. This one has the best multiplayer EVER. In the history of Man. The multiplayer all clicks together perfectly, and you'll see stuff that you would have expected to see in a Tiberian Sun game from a first person persepective. Theres nothing like being part of an engineer rush or driving your stealth tank along with 5 other tanks to sneak up on the GDI base.
1. Galactic Civilizations. What else could I possibly put up here? This game rocks. Incredible replayability. Like Deus Ex, I'm still experiencing new things in this game. Great and warm community. And of course, the modability of the game. This is the first game since Starcraft that I've actually put some effort into this game. I'm soooooooo looking forward to the map editor. I've already got my first scenario planned out.
2. Starcraft. It's a requirement that I put a RTS up with a TBS. Starcraft is the ultimate RTS, don't let anyone tell you that Warcraft III, or anything else for that matter, is better. It's got a great editor, and theres a ton of scenarios out on the internet. I gave up on multiplayer melee over the internet long ago, but the Use Map Settings scenarios still pull me in.
RPG: Double mentions for both of these because the games have to do with each other.
1. Fallout 1/ Fallout 2. This is an epic experience. You never will know the meaning of a computer RPG until you've played this game. Traveling the wasteland is awesome, and the replay factor is also incredible. I've completed almost all of the quests on these guys.
2. Final Fantasy 6/ Final Fantasy 7. I can't decide which one is better. Both have engrossing storylines that today's final fantasies can't compare to. I love the plot, and that there's tons of fun sidequests. I've gotten so emotionally involved with the storylines in these games that I can't stand to beat them. It's been years since I've gotten to the point where I can, and I just can't bear to see them end.
1. Jak and Daxter. I love this console game for it's massive and beautiful enviroments. It has low replayability, but that first time was absolutely awesome. The sequel, Jak and Daxter 2 is out, and it's fun, just in a different way then the first one.
2. Diablo 2. My current love. The multiplayer is just so incredibly engrossing. It's no wonder that people are selling thousands of virtual items on Ebay.