First, thanks for the continuous support and for taking in account the feedback from the players community.
- Something about the camera shortcuts : As it was said in another topic, could it be possible to rebind or change the lock/unlock camera function, which is currently bound to the Shift shortcut? Imho, it is an annoying matter of ergonomy and it currently interferes and overlaps with all the selection actions and consecutive orders, associated to the same shift shortcut. Could it be possible to regroup all the camera functions (lock/unlock, angle and rotations) on holding a single button? Keeping the middle mouse button just for the rotation and, ideally, the space keyboard shortcut for a "free mode"? Then, while holding this button we just use the mouse and WSAD in order to move and set the camera like we want. And as soon as we release it, it locks the whole thing again as it is, or better resets it to the default placement? Maybe also, even if it's not a big deal to switch from one to another, a ZSQD setting for the basic lateral and vertical camera movements for us AZERTY users?
- The way the buildings are put on the map, the "construction grid" we could say, could certainly use a pass of polish. As well as a clearer representation, at least when we place the buildings to order their construction, of their radius ranges : radar, firing range of the turrets and defensive buildings. Also, a clearer representation of the "regions", so to say the radius around a resource node : more than once i wondered if my PHC refineries were taken in account by the region where i built them for example...and only got this information confirmed a posteriori, once the construction is finished by looking the income values...
- The management and handling of meta units and groups of units have been greatly enhanced so far, but the combat gameplay and behavior of grouped units honestly needs further improvements. Please don't take that as a simple complaint but rather as an honest feedback about the gameplay. For example, the healing units are often going ahead of the group they belong to, putting uselessly themselves at risk. For example, the group movements are not only quite slow, but also confused and untidy when they engage and it is particularly difficult to obtain a nice concave effect when attacking. Where are the clear opposed lines of units representing the frontline? What about the reactivity of a whole group when we want it to focus fire at something? Another example, A meta-unit or a big group is almost unable to stay in position and fire at its maximum firing range. Often, the T1/T2 armored units are going ahead, the maverick way, when we would like them to stay in a compact first defensive line, the martial way, while, behind them, the healing, artillery and long range units do their job...sometimes we would like the grouped units to split or form a spaced formation to avoid artillery or bombing damage better...In a word, the formations behaviors are still somewhat "sloppy", lacking precision. In sins we have the "gravity well", "spaced" and "compact" formations options... Do you plan to enhance this part of the gameplay? Sorry to say that and take such a comparison, i know you don't like it too much, but Supreme commander squared formations or concave effects still bring clearer frontlines, ranges of engagement, so to say a more precise and superior combat experience. Against the AI, but also and moreover for the success of the multiplayer and competitive part of the game. We want to be in control of everything i guess, specially during the engagements. Please make squared formations, homogeneous and predictable movements with them, so the frontlines and ranges of engagement could also become clearer and the player's micro really effective.
- The planes and their behavior : Their fly-bys lack amplitude, in order to render the right way an aerial attack pass or to serve (besides Pans for example) as a zone reconnaissance around the group they belong to. They don't feel natural, at least for the units that can't "hover" in place. Their handling, the way their salvos are timed compared to their movements, are somewhat difficult to apprehend and control. Often, they don't fire at the designated target (mainly the Air and ground fighters it seems), and given the little pass loops they're doing, the gameplay with the bombers is deadly for sure, but not really precise and natural (they have a too good RoF and/or AoE damage, and the tiny loops they're doing is reinforcing this feeling). I'm pretty sure something could be done in this domain too. And in fact, we could also talk about the AA defense systems : The dedicated units are globally fine, but imho, even if the static AA turrets gained some improvements lately, notably with the upgrades, i really think there's still a problem with their attack range. it seems way too short in order to secure a strong point or a base and provide a good air interdiction over a zone. A simple or a pair of air/ground fighters can still cripple your economy at early game, and there's almost nothing you can do about it. The expenses we have to make (in terms of number of turrets, price or construction time) are not effective at all compared to ground AA units or even air fighters strategies. Mainly because of their range being too short imo. it could use a NOTABLE buff, even when turrets are not upgraded, maybe specially when those turrets are used in conjunction with radar buildings. All planes making larger loops when they make passes of attack, including concerning scuffles involving Air vs Air units, demanding a better micro from the player, in conjunction with a greater range for AA units(turrets/static defenses mainly, at least the specialized AA turrets even if it's at the cost of a little precision), could certainly improve this part of the gameplay imho.
- An observer mode could be great for those who want to study the AI gameplay and build orders, the specificities of the maps, or simply to drink their coffee while watching a match. If we want to put one AI versus one AI on a 1v1 map, in single player mode, we should be able to fill an observer slot when creating the match. Just for watching.
- Big Base defense Shields and long range Artillery pieces? Walls? Aerial Dreadnoughts? Third Faction? Real explosions?
- Oh, and please, forget about making 2 or 3 (multiplayer sold separately soon?) different lines of commercial products with only the same game. Thanks.
Please, again, don't take that as simple complaints. I'm really looking forward to seeing this game enhanced on plenty of domains, but i also don't forget the great work done so far. Ashes is a really good game.
Keep up the hard work guys, and happy new year