That sounds interesting. How about having something like layers in the map. e.g. 3 layers of 'space planes' (let's call them). Imagine the 3d chess of star trek.
People usually play in the middle one but both upper and lower can be used: maybe they have more planets, or can be used as a hyperspace and move faster.
That would be interesting.
Nice! That's very close to what I was thinking, but with different mechanics. If any Stardockians are reading, please hear me out!
Pocket galaxy type 1: (natural)
There are optionally one or two stable wormholes on the main map per game, with one more possibly spawning from a random event. Each leads to its own single-sector pocket universe with one or two stars, each star having only extreme planets to prevent early colonization. True to game lore, there would be a solid black background with no stars or nebulae in the pocket universe.
These would be considered "public" pocket galaxies, because anyone can enter or exit them via the single point of entry on the main map.
Pocket galaxy type 2: (artificial access)
Each civilization can construct massive tech-intensive high-upkeep space stations that serve as points of entry to their "own" pocket universe, that is, the only way to access your pocket universe is through your stations, likewise for other races.
Enabling or disabling one of your station's wormhole generators takes several weeks and a lot of bc's, so it would be more convenient to leave the wormhole running. This prevents abusing the stations (opening one just long enough to warp in, then warp out across the galaxy) since anyone can use your station when it's running.
- The stations act like stargates, but between dimensions instead of across space.
- You can have as many stations as you can afford (and your enemies can destroy them).
- Stations can move one parsec per turn.
- Entering or exiting a wormhole consumes all remaining ship/fleet moves.
- The planets inside the pocket galaxy don't keep you in the game if you lose all of your main-map planets.
- Additional research and construction would reduce the time required to enable or disable the wormhole generator.
Thoughts, comments? Pocket Universe expansion maybe?