I'm sorry for retaking a thread for Beastlords, but I've tried some games with a Beastlord Sov, and the conclusions are evident.
What it seemed an easy way to create an early army, becomes a bit gamebreaking after Sov grows Spell Mastery, and can tame easily Ravenous Harridans and Hoarder Spiders (I even got the Spider Queen from the Spider Event). And with affinity and/or the suit of less spell cost, I could tame BB for a ridicuolus amount of mana.
Umberdroths and other beasts are easily tamed too. So, I sent my Sov alone, and came back with a full army (bears, wolves, spiders...). I gave it to the champ, and went alone again for a new army... Lots of fun the first time, but after that, the game might be broken, with deadly armies with 0 upkeep. My last game, I just researched Civ and Magic untill late game...
And when a beast is tamed, my army receives XP the same as it was killed (well, I find it interesting, but maybe the XP should be halved, or (sigh) removed).
So, to give a bit of balance, I think that tamed beasts should have some mana upkeep (from 1 to ... 10? ... depending on the level or the power).
A quick list: Low level: 1 mana. Mid level: 2-3 mana. High level: 5 or more mana.
If not mana enough for the upkeep...beasts should "untame" (lol?) and get free again.
(Edit) These suggestions by now:
-Leave it as it is. Most people find fun as it is, and we (are supposed to) live in a democracy. So this is the winner suggestion.
- Beasts are untamed if they leave the Sovs's army. I find this one interesting, as it puts a logical limit to the number of tamed beasts. The most balanced untill now (attach number of tamed beasts to army size...I find sense here), so I put it the second in the list.
- A nice alternative: beasts have no upkeep while in Sov's army (as he has direct control over them), but if they go out of the army, then require a certain mana upkeep. I find this very balanced, and make sense with what a beastlord is suposed to be.
- You need to attack the beast. There should be a HP threshold for the beast before being able to cast Tame. Suggested between 10 HP and ...25?. This way, low HP beast are easy to tame, but high HP beasts would require tactical strategics (and a proper army). This sounds good too.
- Not mana upkeep for low level beast, only for high level (hoarder, harrigans...)
- Influence upkeep for beasts with higher level than Sov
- Risk of rebellion each turn. It could be avoided by a sort of spell that require a upkeep.
- Increase resistance to tame for high level beasts. For example, use the HP difference as a % of more resistance. Maybe (HP difference /2)?