How big is a Trillion of … anything? "1" followed by 12 zeros (1,000,000,000,000) or for the more astute, 1012. Here are some amusements concerning one trillion of something’s ... To gain perspective:
- 1012 Seconds: =~16.7 billion minutes = ~277.8 million hours = ~11.6 million days = ~31.7 thousand years.
- 1012 Dollars: If spent at $1/second = $60/minute = $3,600/hour = $86,400/day =~ $31.6 million /Year … for ~31.7 thousand years.
- 1012 Dollar bills (6 in. long): Laid end to end would reach the sun leaving you $49.6 billion for your effort.
- 1012 Dollar bills (.0043 in. thick): Stacked = 4,300,000,000 in. = 358,333,333 ft. = 67,866 miles (~ 1/3 the distance to the moon). Now if you take this stack and roll it down at the equator, it would wrap around the Earth almost 2 ¾ times.
- 1012 Dollar bills (2.5 in wide): 2,500,000,000,000 in. = 208,333,333,333 feet = 39,457,071 miles … get the picture? [One is limited here only by their imagination, hehehe.]
While we are on the subject though … these kinds of things could have been paid for in full with $1 trillion if only …
- … could have purchased all the goods and services produced in Australia for ONE YEAR.
- … could have run our Government for 103 days
- … could have funded all the military of every NATO country.
- … could have paid for every US military intervention since 9/11.
- … could have paid the rent for every renter in the US for 3 years.
- … could have paid the mortgage payments or every homeowner in the US for 14 months.
- … could have repurchased all the home foreclosures in 2007 and 2008.
- ... could have paid for an additional 11 weeks’ vacation for every American worker.
- … could have (when adjusted for inflation) … Paid for the New Deal and the Marshal Plan (*5).
- $1012 = the market value of all the stocks traded on the Toronto stock exchange.
I guess none of these things were deemed important by the current administration which seems strange considering their benevolent rhetoric. But the sad truth is that one trillion dollars is not even enough to pay for 1/10th of the current Government bailout, go figure.
Disconnected as usual!!!