Having lived for such a time as to have witnessed many things in the ways of love and friendship, I offer some tips for good relationships, whether they be romantic or otherwise.
1. Communication- Being open is a very important factor in any good relationship. If you won't open up and let people know what you're thinking, feeling, or having trouble with then you don't feel comfortable with them which is not a good sign. I encourage you to share your thoughts and feelings with you friend and/or partner. In communication lies understanding and in understanding lies compassion wherein love forms and a great bond develops.
2. Honesty- Always the best policy believe it or not. Do not in any case make up some crazy alter ego or lie about experiences, they will eventually come back to haunt you. Being honest is a very important keystone to maintaining a healthy and loving relationship.
3. Trust- If you can't trust your significant other or your friends what are you to do? You will feel lost and assume everyone is against you if you can't trust someone with your innermost secrets. You may seem reluctant but if you can trust and be trusted your relationship will prosper.
4. Support- It is very important to support your loved ones. Be positive about their choices and encourage them to chase their dreams. Give them advice but ultimately let them move through their own path. Be there when they fall down and behind them when they walk tall.
5. Love- Probably the most important aspect of any friendship or romantic relationship. Love is a fickle thing, but it pays off in the end. You can love your friends, your family, and your partner. If there is no love then it's not a good relationship. Friends need to love eachother, even though it's not an intimate kind of love it still has to exist.
Well, I believe that hits quite a few important points. If anyone has more to add then please do.