I want to make something different for dinner tonight help

By on March 15, 2009 12:15:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Solam

Join Date 03/2007
+16

I know this is a  bit different kind of post. I have three young kids abnd I want to make them someting different for dinner tonight. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

24 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 15, 2009 1:55:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

something not breaded and or quick'n greasy?  

(I have 3 kids also......although they are now in their teens and eating me out of house and home...hehe)

You will need:

Pickerel Fillets

Green Beans

Asparagus

Baby Potatoes

1.  pour some grated parmesan cheese and garlic powder into an empty bread-bag.

2.  quarter or halve the baby potatoes (depends on how big/small the potatoes are)

3.  toss the cut potatoes around in the bread-bag with the mix of parmesan and garlic powder.

4.  line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place the now coated potatoes onto the cookie sheet and bake between 325 and 425 fahrenheit (depending on kind of oven you've got and the size of the potatoes)  The potatoes usually take around 40min so don't start the other steps until the potatoes are almost done.

5.  fill a pan a quarter full of water and bring almost to a boil (for the fish)

6.  prepare the beans and asparagus to be steamed while cooking the fish.  If your kids really hate veggies, you could always brown some bread-crumbs in a small saucepan and lightly sprinkle the veggies with them once they're finished steaming.  (I don't steam veggies for more than 4-5min otherwise they're too soggy!) 

7.  once the water in the pan is close enough to boiling, add the pickerel fillets.  Then season the pickerel with some oregano, chili powder, seasoned salt (whatever your kids will eat!  )

Serve immediately!!   Everything except for the potatoes will cool down rather quickly.....

Oh, and I take no responsibility whatsoever for the above, if it doesn't turn out well.  What do I know about cooking?  hehe    

-- monk out! 

March 15, 2009 2:54:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Grilled ham, egg & pepperjack cheese sandwiches... very tasty and quick.

i know it should be on the breakfast menu, but that doesnt mean u cant eat it for dinner.

March 15, 2009 3:12:51 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Haha, I have 5 children from age 3 to 14... For something easy it is Little Ceasars. 4 pizza's for 5 dollars each.. When we cook it is usually  something we can make alot of such as chilli, spaghetti or hamburgers. As for something special... Peanut Butter and Jelly!

Sorry I wasn't much help....

March 15, 2009 3:39:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Dutch Baby....German pancake.

there are really good and easy to make.they are baked in the oven in a skillet and the edges rise, they may rise a lot in the center but will fall again after pulled from the oven.

they are quite filling and can be served alone or do eggs, bacon etc...with them.

this recipe calls for lemon wedges to squeeze over when done, but I prefer to use fresh sliced fruit like banana's and/or berries.

it also calls for Vanilla Sugar, which is merely sugar that has had a vanilla bean sitting in it for a while. you can just use regular granulated sugar and add a teaspoon of vanilla.

some recipes also sprinkle powdered sugar over when done.

I use the below recipe, it will serve 3-4 if you do something else with it. you'll want to double it for 4 if serving alone.

Dutch Baby Recipe

another recipe

March 15, 2009 4:10:04 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Not knowing what you serve usually or constantly on Sunday evenings but if it has to be different, i'll risk a guess or two;

Put them all in the trunk or the back seat, drive to the nearest resto or fasty and have a party.

Oh, you meant *make* something different? How's that for a change;

Put them all in the basement, drive to the nearest resto and have YOURSELF a lonely party.

Oh, you think they might be ungry afterwards? How's that for a surprise;

Open the necessary number of Beans cans, drop it all in cereal bowls, tell them to go get their own spoons upstairs before you leave... and finally, return to the resto to finish or start your precious meal.

March 15, 2009 5:30:59 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

If they like sandwhiches and salads:

Sandwich:

Turkey pastrami, Swiss cheese, tomatoes and basil pesto on toasted sourdough bread.

Salad:

baby-leaf spinch, strawberries, walnuts and Mandrain oranges, with a splash of rasberry vinegrette dressing.

March 16, 2009 9:01:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You guys are great. Thanks for all the suggestions LOL

March 16, 2009 9:20:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How about something Japanese, assuming you have access to ingredients.

You'll need thin porkchops (this is important!), panko (Japanese bread crumbs), eggs, pepper/salt, and vegetable oil. Katsu sauce for dipping when you're eating.

Beat a few eggs in a bowl well, and mix in some pepper/salt. Measurements here aren't critical.

Rinse porkchops in cold water. Dip into the egg/spices mixture to cover both sides, then roll it around in panko to coat it. Dip it in the egg again and coat with panko a second time. (This gets you a nice fluffy coating that sticks.)

Set them aside for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat a cup of vegetable oil in a large pan on High (less if you're using a small pan, the goal is to have the oil level reach about half of the pork chop). When the oil is hot, drop in the pork chops.

Fry it 4-5 minutes per side. This is where the thin pork chops are really important. Any more than 4-5 minutes and the panko burns pretty bad, so the meat needs to be thin enough to have time to cook through. It's done when the panko is golden brown on both sides.

You get a very crispy and crunchy coat. Dip in Katsu sauce and watch your kids go nuts. Note that it does not refrigirate that well. Moisture will make the coating soggy.. which just won't taste the same

Voila, you just made Tonkatsu. It's kinda tricky to get right on the first shot, but worth it when you do!

March 16, 2009 11:16:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Very quick and very jummie:

Tortellini soufflé

You need for 3-4 persons)

500-750g Tortellini (depending if they are dryed or fresh)
250g Cherry tomatos
2-3 Mozarella balls
150-200g Red or green pesto(or both)
50g Pine-Nuts
1 cup of cream (150ml)

Your kichen needs:

One casserole dish or a oven-proove pot(no plastic handles)
An ordinary pot.
A sieve
An oven

The recipe is simple. Just boil the tortellini according to the instructions (fresh ones are ready in just 2-3 minutes). And put them in a sieve afterwards.

Now switch on the oven(about 150°C)
Cut the Cherry-tomatoes into 4 pieces and the mozzarella into slices.
Now just mix the pesto with cream untill it is a viscosus fluid (you may not need all of the cream) and add the pine nuts.
Finally put the tortellini and the cherry tomatoes in the casserole dish, pour the pesto-mix over it an cover the top with the mozzarella slices and put it in the oven.
The soufflé is ready when the cheese starts getting brown.

If you are not vegetarian you can add boiled ham too.
If available you can put 2-3 brances of thyme into the dish, but try not to eat them, they are only for the taste...

Average time exposure: 15-30 minutes

March 16, 2009 11:30:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hamburger Helper (or chicken helper or tuna helper).  Always one of my fav's!

March 18, 2009 12:32:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Keep these receipes coming.

My wife can't cook anything. So the three kids and She leave me the cooking chore.

I love to cook myself so it's not to bad. But at some point I just don't know what to do anymore.

March 18, 2009 12:52:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Here's a really easy but yummy one:

Get some fish filets (I like using orange roughy for this). Grab a baking pan and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Melt some butter in a bowl. Dip the fish in butter to cover both sides and season both sides with whatever you like (I use lemon herb and garlic pepper). Stick the filets in the baking pan, and put some shredded parmesan on top.

Stick in the oven at 400 for 15 minutes. Don't need to flip them or anything.

March 18, 2009 1:07:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Simple, cheap, fast, filling, good -

Gnocchi with Pesto - You can make the ingredients from scratch but the nice thing about gnocchi and pesto is that your two primary ingredients are cheap and really hard to mess up, even for grocery store products. 

So go to your local supermarket, buy a package of good gnocchi (potato dumpling pasta) from makers like Barilla or De Cecco, then buy a container of pesto (basil or parsley ground with olive oil).  If you don't have some spring for some grated parmesan.

Boil water in a large pot, add more salt than you think you should.  Pour in the gnocchi and drain when all of them are floating (ten minutes or so).  You can either pour the gnocchi back into the pot and add pesto and parmesan for everybody or mix each bowl to taste, but it's important to note that a little pesto goes a long way - it's strong stuff. 

Voila - you've fed everybody in the house a healthy, minimally processed meal for $5 or less and in less than 20 minutes.  If you want to get hardcore and spend an afternoon making dinner freshmade gnocchi and homemade pesto are awesome too.

March 18, 2009 1:09:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And another for green curry pork (or chicken):

Get your meat and cut it up into bite sized pieces. If you're doing it with pork chops, thinner ones are better. Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil (assuming you're doing for the whole family here) in a bowl and drop in some salt/pepper, however much you like. Mix that up with the meat and if you've got some time let it marinade in that for an hour or two.

Once that's ready, drop the meat in a pan and fry it over medium/medium-high until it's very well cooked through, stir it up as necessary.

Meanwhile, dice up an onion and garlic. If you can get red chili peppers and ginger root, you can dice up some pepper as well and shred about an inch/inch and a half of ginger root. Mix all of that together. When the meat it done, take it out of the pan and drop the onions and the rest in there. Let it sit until the onions are cooked and look nice and golden brown. They'll also absorb some of the pork taste.

Once the onions are done as well, drop them and the meat into a slow cooker and pour in 1 cup of coconut milk. Also add about half a teaspoon to a teaspoon of green curry paste (you have to use paste, not powder). If you haven't cooked with curry paste before, it's a very potent spice, so don't go nuts on it at first. Anyway, set the slow cooker on medium and cover it, and let all of that sit in there for an hour or so. You can taste it then and put in more curry paste if it's not spicy enough, just mix it up and give it another 10-15 minutes, can't really over-cook the curry. Once it's done, drain some juice from fresh limes and pour it in. This is also to taste, but it gives the curry a good zing. I usually half a lime's worth in, should be a few teaspoons.

Serve it over plain white rice, and it's great!

PS. A can of coconut milk is slightly more than a cup, you can just drop the whole can in and you'll just have more sauce in the curry.

March 18, 2009 1:15:08 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Edible Pampers.

Those are definitely different.

March 18, 2009 1:37:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
Here's a really easy but yummy one:

Get some fish filets (I like using orange roughy for this). Grab a baking pan and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Melt some butter in a bowl. Dip the fish in butter to cover both sides and season both sides with whatever you like (I use lemon herb and garlic pepper). Stick the filets in the baking pan, and put some shredded parmesan on top.

Stick in the oven at 400 for 15 minutes. Don't need to flip them or anything.

sound good,

another fish dish I like.

orange and rosemary Salmon. sorry no specific recipe in regards ro measurements, I just throw it together.

spread a little butter over the filet, season lightly with garlic and pepper, chop FRESH rosemary and sprinkle over filet (sometimes I also lay a couple full sprigs), top off with the ZEST of 1 orange (ZEST of the orange ONLY at this point, the acids in citrus make fish tough if used for cooking)

cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 about 20 minutes (depending on size of filet)

after baking squeeze the orange over and serve.

I like to serve asparagus or artichocks, and some pasta with it (Pasta Roni Garlic and Olive Oil Vermacilli is really good with it)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

catfish

lightly breaded with your choice of breading, fry in skillet with a little oil serve with cornbread and whatever veggie you like.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quick and easy scrambled eggs with extras like bacon, ham etc...

cook any bacon or ham, let it cool a little and chop

grate some of your favorite cheese, I use colby or Mozzarella,

scramble 2-3 eggs per person,season with salt, pepper and basil (don't forget the basil, it really adds the final touch to eggs IMO)

put eggs in preheated skillet on med/med-low,

cook eggs until almost done (still a little wet/runny) add the bacon, ham, cheese etc and stir in until eggs are fully cooked and cheese is melted. (its important to add the extras before the eggs are fully cooked, otherwise they will be over cooked and rubbery before the cheese melts)

serve alone or with pancakes etc....

You can also add onions, green peppers etc, anything you like.

January 26, 2010 12:52:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

All good recipe.

I need new ideas for tonight. Anybody else as an easy recepe to make for 3 kids and 2 adults?

January 26, 2010 1:32:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Savory bread puddings are swell when it's cold, and can help clean out leftovers sometimes.

Just take a recipe like Giada De Laurnetis' spinach & pancetta strata as a sort of template. You can scale back the bread and liquids if you don't want leftovers and switch the meat, cheese, & veggie parts around all sorts of ways. I've had yummy stratas made without meat at all, and with different kinds of sausage.

January 26, 2010 6:23:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great thread!  Now if it only were in Swedish so I would understand what the ingredients are....

I can cook macaronies and hotdogs/meatballs ^^         Man I suck at cooking....Luckily they sell pizza for 1.7 Euro otherwise I guess I would have to live of bread and addons....

January 26, 2010 6:39:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

put an apple in your mouth and hop on a plate.

January 26, 2010 7:48:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was going to say "Holy thread necro batman!" but then I realized who did the bumping.

I think I'm going to try that gnocchi one soon. I'm trying to cut back on processed foods, but I never really learned how to cook anything else. An easy recipe like this is a great help.

January 26, 2010 8:12:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think I'm going to try that gnocchi one soon. I'm trying to cut back on processed foods, but I never really learned how to cook anything else. An easy recipe like this is a great help.

Cutting back on processed foods is good for everyone, but if you have to use them, it's not hard to make 'em your own.

You can make a quick pseudo-lasagna from frozen or fresh raviolis, some jar tomato sauce, a bit of your own spices, and some fresh parmesean, romano, and/or mozarella. Cutting the sauce with a bit of boxed broth (or water & a pinch of salt) can help if the ravs you use are on the dry side.

Start with the oven preheated to 350 F and check it regularly after 20-30 minutes. When it's good & bubbly, stick a fork or other poky device into the center of a rav near the middle and rest it there a moment. If it doesn't come out hot, give it another 5 minutes or so and check again; you'll figure out what to do with your particular oven & the factory food you're using.

January 26, 2010 9:11:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tomato and Tabasco sauce butterfly pork chops.

- This is one of my favorite recepies that I make regulerly. It's good, tasty, healty and reheats well for lunches. I also have a steak (BBQ and Balsamic) one and a chicken break (Basilic and Balsamic with honeydijon sauce) but they are a bit more complex.

What you need:

1 or 2 cans of tomato soupe Almers or Cambells (defending if you wnat more sauce or lest but 2 is nice.)
Tabasco sauce
Olive oil
Black Peper
9-10 butterfly cut pork chops
1½-2 cups of sliced mushroms
1-2 choped up carrot sticks (choping them thinly like french fries is best)
1 choped up green peper
1 choped up medium onion
(optional) 3-4 cups of fresh choped up spinach leaves.

How to cook:

1- Prepare all of the vegetable before hand and have them all ready to go in a bowl and you Tomato sauce in an other bowl.

2- Heat a large deep skillet on the stove at medium high heat and when ready poor in some olive oil and then put the pock chops in and start ciring. This normaly takes 2-3 minutes f your skilled was hot enought.

3- As soon as teh pock chops are nice golden and cocked, remove from heat, add in the tomato sauce and mix it well to prevent burning till pan cools a bit. When the ciring sound stops place back on medium heat.

4- Add in black peper and tabasco sauce to your likeing. Normaly I do 4-5 shots of tabasco and Peper a lot. Start concervative and add more later if needed.

5- Add in all vegetable and cook till sauce is boiling and vegetables reach your desired cook level. Make sure to taste your sauce regulerly to to addjust the peper and tabasco to yuor likeing and to mix well.

All in all the vegetable cutting is about 10 minutes and the cooking is under 10 minutes.

This is recomended to be served with mash patatoes and a salade with ceasar, ranch or three cheese dresssing.

January 28, 2010 9:59:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome Sandwich

Toast some wheat bread

Add a few pieces of lunchmeat, chicken, ham, and turkey are all good

Spread mayo or salad dressing on the bread (I prefer salad dressing because it's sweeter)

Put bacon bits in the mayo/salad dressing

Add cheese and microwave it so that it melts

Then add bacon/tomatoes/lettuce

This recipe is so delicious and simple

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000531   Page Render Time: